Approximately 100 volunteers helped complete a 500-foot stretch of a 17th-century timber palisade at Plimoth Plantation on Sept. 27.
The work on the timber wall surrounding the 1627 English Village started six months ago. Five artisans at Plimoth Plantation dug a trench, cut and installed 28 posts and split 300 timbers using 17th-century tools.
The volunteers, who were in Plymouth as part of two-day effort organized by Tourism Cares, a Canton-based nonprofit that brings tourism industry professionals together to preserve travel destinations, completed the project by installing the pre-cut timbers on the palisade.
The stretch of the wall, about 20 percent of the entire palisade, was beginning to rot after about 20 years, according to Richard Pickering, Deputy Executive Director, Plimoth Plantation.
Read more about the Tourism Cares work in Plymouth here.