Five Things You Need to Know Today: March 18
A panel of South Shore mystery authors will be at the Plymouth Public Library from 7 to 8:30 p.m. tonight.
1. A panel of four South Shore mystery authors will be at the Plymouth Public Library from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Monday, March 18, in the Otto Fehlow meeting room, at 132 South St. The panel will discuss the diabolical genre of short stories. Sheila Connolly, Mo Walsh, Stephen D. Rogers and Leslie Wheeler all have featured stories in the new Level Best anthology, Best New England Crime Stories 2013: Blood Moon.
2. The Arc of Greater Plymouth will host its 11th annual dinner and auction Saturday, April 6, at the Indian Pond Country Club in Kingston. Entertainment includes comedian John Turco as M.C., dancing to local popular Plymouth band Cheap Voova, Introduction of Developing Partnerships and Enriching Communities video about the Arc services and individuals, great silent and live auction items including sports tickets, Broadway tickets, vacation getaways, paddleboard and much more. All proceeds benefit the Arc’s social, recreation, employment training programs and emergency funds for needy families.
For tickets or to donate an auction item, contact Susan O’Neal at email@example.com or 508-732-9292, ext. 26. The Arc of Greater Plymouth provides services and supports to individuals with intellectual and other developmental disabilities and their families. It serves 600 individuals and 1,000 families in the Greater Plymouth area.
3. Athena Day School will hold a Scholastic Book Fair to benefit its students from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 18 through 22, in the pediatric lobby of Plymouth Rehabilitation and Health Care Center (formerly Radius), located at 123 South St. Athena Day School is a Chapter 766 school for children with special needs. Proceeds from the sale will benefit the classrooms that these children attend. The public is welcome. For more information, call Brenda Gellar at 508-927-3327.
4. Registration is now open for the Plymouth Youth Hockey 2013/14 season. All players must register online at the PYH website during the open registration period to be eligible to participate in tryouts. Registration will be open from March 1 to 22. To complete your registration, proceed to the PYH website at www.plymouthyouthhockey.net. If you are new to the program, click the Register Online tab on the left side of the screen and then create your new account. If you already have an account, click the Log In tab at the top right of the page and enter the email address and password you used to register last year. Once you have logged in, click on Register Online on the left side of the page. If you have any questions, email David Newcombe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Have you ever thought about starting a blog? Learn how to blog on Patch.