Five Things You Need to Know Today: Feb. 24
1) Mike Bent’s Abrakidbra – an interactive, state of the art magic show for kids at 10 a.m. at Memorial Hall. Tickets are $7 for adults, $5 for kids and a family pack of six is $25.
2) Looking for a way to relax and center yourself? Try Tai Chi at the Senior Center at 9 a.m.
3) Plenty of free activties are still happening for the kids at Pilgrim Hall Museum.
4) Manomet Village Steering Committee meets tonight at 7 p.m. at the Manomet Branch Library.
5) On this day in 1836, Colonel William Travis issued a call for help on behalf of the Texan troops defending the Alamo, which was under attack by the Mexican army. All 190 members of revolutionary army, and the volunteer force, were decimated by the 5,000-strong force led by Mexican general Santa Ana. But the Texans took more than 600 Mexican soldiers with them and a few months later “Remember the Alamo” was the rallying cry when Texas forces captured Santa Ana himself, effectively ending the war.