Five Things You Need to Know Today: Feb. 18
Today is Presidents' Day, and the first day of February vacation. Here are some things you ought to know.
1. Here's a list of what's open and closed today.
2. Here are some ideas for free kids' activities during February vacation at Pilgrim Hall Museum.
3. The Plymouth Center for the Arts is offering art camps for kids during February school vacation (Feb. 18-22). The camps are of three, four and five days duration and will be led by several of the Center’s most popular art instructors. Full information is available at www.plymouthguild.org. The Plymouth Center for the Arts offers numerous art classes and workshops for adults and children. View the Classes section of the website for details. The Center is located at 11 North St., just steps from Plymouth Rock and the waterfront. The beautifully restored 1902 Russell Library gallery and the 18th century Lindens building possess uncommonly elegant gallery spaces to display diverse work created by regional artists. The Center is owned and operated by Plymouth Guild for the Arts, an all-volunteer, nonprofit arts organization, now in its 46th year. The galleries are open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Saturday and from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday.
4. The New Plimmoth Gard will reenact Establishment Day, the day in 1621 that the Plymouth settlers met to establish military orders for the new colony. The reenactment will begin at 12:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 18 (postponed from Feb. 17), at Town Square at the top of Leyden Street. The Gard will then march about three blocks south to the Training Green and perform a pike and musket drill.
The New Plimmoth Gard is a group of historical reenactors portraying the citizen soldiers of Plymouth Colony circa 1640. The group’s aim is to promote knowledge and understanding of early Colonial society, and the importance of military preparedness to this culture. This is done through historically accurate demonstrations of military practices using the weapons, armor and clothing of the period. The group was formed in early 2012. Interested adults are welcome to join. Meetings are in Plymouth. For more information, email email@example.com or call Stan Wollman at 508-747-0452.
5. Have you ever thought about starting a blog? Learn how to blog on Patch.